During my JC time, one day I played chess with one of my friend. The match was not great but we had some fun chitchat together. Then one of our juniors came, and he joined us to play against me. That time I was chichatting and not paying much attention to the game. After some time, I lost two vital piece and I admitted lost. Suddenly the junior got angry at me and shouted a few words, " How can you just admit you lost? Can I do the same when I lost? "
I was at a loss of words at that time. I do not know the reason behind his anger over such a small game. To me, chess is just a game. We play games to know new friends, aren't we? We are not professional players. Did he think that winning was so important? After that I tended not to speak with this junior and some of his friends due to this grudge.
However the story is not over. I was severely ill and had an urgent need for surgery just days before A-level. I needed to repeat my JC2 again. That was the time that I would be in the same level as that junior. However due to the nasty things happened, I was not at a good relation with him and his friends. So my last year in the JC I was quite lonely and anti-social.
Now today when I reflect on this, maybe he was a die-hard chess player who were eager to show his senior his skills, and to him chess was a serious game. However I treated this as disrespect and arrogance from him and resulted my own loneliness later on.
So now I share my story to everyone so I could hear from your opinions. (And my apologies that this blog got word count limit so I can't describe the story fully)
No comments:
Post a Comment